Invitation to join the Cedar Cottage Food Network’s Board of Directors
The CCFN is looking for individuals passionate about urban agriculture, food security, community-building and how all that intersects with social justice to sit on our board of directors! We’re actively looking to increase the range and diversity of skills, perspectives, and experiences on our board.
If you are interested please fill out the expression of interest below and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizational Mandate: The Cedar Cottage Food Network Society (CCFN) is an independent, non-profit organization working toward more sustainable and just food systems at the neighbourhood level. We create space for Kensington-Cedar Cottage residents to take part in different levels of food systems by providing programming, tools, and opportunities for community connections.
Description of Positions:
- Chair – Chairs board meetings; responsible for conduct of board meetings and of board members; sets and follows agendas; the spokesperson for the organization to the public; a signing authority on legal and financial documents.
- Treasurer – Accounts for and reports on the funds, budget and expenditures of the organization; often a signing authority on financial documents.
- Members at Large – Skills in the areas of Marketing and Communications
Prior experience on a non-profit board is not required but is preferred. Ideally we are seeking members who have a neighbourhood lens by living or working in Kensington-Cedar Cottage. All candidates should be committed to social and environmental justice and anti-oppression analysis.
Interested candidates are invited to apply via the following process:
- Review the CCFN Board Member Job Description (see below)
- Complete the candidate Expression of Interest form (see attached) and describe the skills and experience you can bring to our team and submit along with your CV/resume to email@example.com ( same comment as below)
- Schedule a Meet and Greet with the Board Recruitment Committee to learn more about the position
If you would like to know more about the Cedar Cottage Food Network and the work of the Board of Directors prior to submitting an expression of interest, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we would be happy to schedule a meet and greet first.
Cedar Cottage Food Network Member of the Board of Directors
Job Description and Expectations
Board of Directors Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and
assist with the leadership and general promotion of the CCFN so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Fiduciary & financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Hiring and supervision of the Executive Director
- Coordinating personnel evaluations and supporting staff during hiring
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Cedar Cottage Food Network. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on their experience and vantage point in the community. More specific tasks are taken on by the officer roles of co-chairs, secretary and treasurer.
Length of term: Board terms are two years, renewable at the end of each term at the Annual General Meeting.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The Board of Directors meets seasonally at the CCFN office at the Trout Lake Community Centre
- Committees of the board are formed on an ad hoc basis and meet as needed (average of 2-5 hrs/month, depending on Committee)
- Staff send out regular email requests for information/support – board members are expected to reply in a timely manner
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by the CCFN
- Help communicate and promote CCFN mission and programs to the community
- Participate in strategic planning processes to review purposes, programs, priorities, funding needs, and targets of achievement
- Ensure financial responsibility by approving the annual budget and overseeing adherence to it
- Understand and uphold the policies and procedures of the CCFN
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience working or volunteering within the non-profit sector
- Demonstrated commitment to social and food justice issues and anti-oppression analysis
- Familiarity with the work of the CCFN
- Prior non-profit management/board experience an asset, particularly board development and leadership experience and skills
- Experience developing organizational policies, strategic planning, and human resource management
- Experience, interest, and passion to support the development and implementation of fundraising strategies, activities and events to further CCFN’s mandate
- Knowledge of financial and fiduciary management
- Accountable and reliable, able to work collaboratively in a virtual space/ environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and have fun!
The above qualities with the addition of:
- Experience with group facilitation, and chairing meetings.
- Comfortable with communication tools such as non-violent communication and survivor centered approaches.
The above qualities with the addition of:
- Experience with Fund Development in the non-profit sector
- Financial background (preferably a combination of education and experience) and knowledge of accounting practices
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Board of Directors Candidate Expression of Interest
Please provide a short answer to the following questions describing your experience and interest in joining the CCFN Board of Directors.
- Why are you interested in a position on the Board of Directors at CYH?
- Briefly describe your background and interest in food systems and/or food justice?
- Briefly describe any experience you have had working or volunteering with not-for-profit organizations.
- What skills can you bring to the Board of Directors at CCFN? (i.e. fundraising, event planning, non-profit management, organizational development, human resources, strategic planning, financial, legal, gardening, cooking, connections to diverse communities, etc).
- What do you hope to accomplish in your time on the Board?
- What kind of time commitment are you willing/able to commit to your responsibilities as a Board member? (For example, how long do you envision holding this position, how much time do you have to offer each week, are you available for evening or weekend meetings/retreats, etc.?)
- Is there anything else you would like us to know about you?