Long time volunteer Sabina shares with us her amazing recipe for home made tofu. Keep an eye out for upcoming workshops where Sabina will show us how to make it.
- 400 g dried soybean
- 1.7 L water
- If conventional soybean
- 25 g coarse sea salt
- 30 g white vinegar
- If organic soybean
- 30 g coarse sea salt
- 35 g white vinegar
- Soak dried soybeans with warm water (about 12-15 hours depending on cold or warm water), remove the skin of soybeans.
- Blend soybeans with 1.7 L water to get soybean juice, and boil in medium sized pot until it reaches 100 degrees Celsius. Turn off heat and skim off the foam.
- Remove pot from heat, add sea salt and vinegar and stir. Place lid on pot and let site for 15-20 min until tofu condenses.
- Wrap condensed tofu with moist cotton towel or cheese cloth, and press it for about 30 min for soft tofu, longer for harder tofu.
- Boil tofu with water a second time to remove salt and vinegar taste.
What’s better than a potato that’s sweet… how bout some good old chilli revamped with sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene). They are also a good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. They also have loads of dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. Check out this sweet potato chilli recipe
Here is what to expect at the market this week:
- Bananas (South America and Organic)
- Gala Apples (BC)
- Avocados (Mex)
- Broccoli (Calf)
- Carrots (Calf)
- Cucumbers (BC)
- Eggplant (Mex)
- Red Onions (Wash)
- Valencia Oranges (Calf)
- Spinach (CA/AZ)
- Sweet Potatoes (Calf)
So make sure to head down to this Saturday’s mobile market locations to stock up. We will be at Cedar Cottage Neighbourhood house at 10:00am to 11:00pm and Kensington Community Centre from 1:00pm to 2:00pm and Brant Villa at 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Take a look at our mobile market locations for more info on how to find us.
See you this weekend!
*As always, produce lists are subject to change. Thank you for your understanding.